Friday, September 27, 2013

mouse pointer freezes in Windows 8

Does your mouse pointer freeze in Windows 8 regularly? Alt-Ctrl-Del will get you to the lock screen where the mouse works fine, but once you're back on the desktop app your mouse won't move?

Yup. happens to me regularly. Have not figured out what causes it, I'm guessing it has something to do with Outlook. or Remote desktops or Virtual Machines.
Often the mouse will freeze when I switch into or out of a remote desktop or VM using Alt-Tab. and until recently I had not way bar reboot or try a million key combinations hoping they will release the lock. But through pure luck I have found a solution that works each time now :-)

1) keep the Ctrl key pressed and your mouse will move. Like magic. release the key and the mouse freezes again. this at least will allow you to exit whatever focus you were in. For example exit the remote desktop console.
2) Alt-tab to your running instance of Outlook. Each time I have done that, the lock is released and the mouse will behave normal again. Does not work with tabbing to other windows. But with Outlook every time.

So is it Outlook who is locking the mouse? is it remote desktop? is it windows 8? I really have no clue. I'm just super happy I have found a solution which does not involve rebooting my machine.

2 comments:

Alex Dean said...

update. It's happened without outlook and also at times the outlook trick did not work.
switching between windows (alt-tab) most often the savior. But not always.
I'm starting to think that it's a CPU interrupt issue. Hmm. been ages since I debugged interrupt conflicts on a machine. Brrr. let's not go there.

Alex Dean said...

Uddate: figured out that opening a brand new application, such as Notepad can also unfreeze the cursor.